Understanding 2023 SEER Regulations: A Guide for Homeowners
Homeowners are constantly seeking ways to improve the comfort and energy efficiency of their living environments. In pursuit of this goal, staying up to date on the latest regulations and standards affecting our HVAC systems is essential. A regulation known as the Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) has been updated for 2023.
We’ll delve into what homeowners should know about this new requirement, its importance, and what to consider when looking for new HVAC equipment. We’ll explore:
- What homeowners should know about the new SEER requirements
- What it is and why it’s important
- Considerations for homeowners when choosing a new HVAC system
- Where to buy a new HVAC system
What Homeowners Should Know About the New SEER Requirements
The 2023 SEER regulations introduce higher energy-efficiency standards for HVAC systems across the United States. SEER measures an air conditioner or heat pump’s cooling efficiency over an entire cooling season, considering factors such as cooling capacity and electricity consumption.
Generally, the higher the SEER, the more energy-efficient the HVAC system. Under the new regulations, the minimum SEER rating for new cooling systems will increase by 1 SEER, leading to more energy-efficient equipment.
What Is It & Why Is It Important?
The SEER rating is important because it determines the energy efficiency of an HVAC system. Higher SEER ratings indicate more efficient systems that consume less electricity while delivering the desired cooling performance.
The 2023 regulations aim to reduce energy consumption, lower utility bills, and minimize the environmental impact of residential cooling systems by raising the minimum SEER requirements. This leads to improved energy efficiency, reduced greenhouse gas emissions, and long-term cost savings on energy bills for homeowners.
Considerations for Homeowners When Choosing a New HVAC System
As homeowners plan for HVAC installations and replacements in 2023, it’s important for them to keep the following considerations in mind following updated SEER regulations:
- SEER Rating: When selecting a new HVAC system, pay close attention to its SEER rating. According to the updated guidance, non-compliant air conditioners cannot be sold or installed regardless of the manufacturer date in the southern regions of the U.S. That means any AC units you plan to install must be at least 15 SEER or above.
- Size & Load: It’s essential to have a professional HVAC technician perform a proper load calculation to determine the right-sized system for your home. An oversized or undersized system can lead to inefficiencies, discomfort, and increased energy consumption.
- Professional Installation: A proper installation is critical for your HVAC system’s optimal performance and efficiency. Ensure you hire a qualified HVAC contractor who follows industry best practices and adheres to local building codes. A well-installed system can maximize energy efficiency, enhance indoor comfort, and extend the life span of the equipment.
- Maintenance & Service: To ensure your HVAC system operates at its peak efficiency, it’s vital to schedule regular maintenance and service after the installation is complete. This includes cleaning or replacing filters, inspecting ductwork, and checking refrigerant levels. Regular care not only improves energy efficiency but also helps prevent costly breakdowns, extending the life span of your equipment.
Find Your Replacement HVAC System at Buckner’s Heating & Cooling
The 2023 SEER regulations significantly change the HVAC industry, aiming to improve energy efficiency and reduce the environmental impact of residential cooling equipment. As a homeowner, it’s essential to understand the implications of these regulations and make informed decisions when selecting new HVAC systems.
If you need help determining what type of air conditioner to install for your next AC installation or replacement project, Buckner’s Heating & Cooling is here to help. Our expert HVAC technicians are continuously trained on all the latest industry developments and can help you select a system compliant with current standards.
Contact our team at 816-436-1244 to request air conditioner installation or replacement in Kansas City, MO, today.
Need Service? Contact Us
- Over 35 years of experience
- Professional, knowledgeable, and friendly team
- Photo-worthy workmanship
- High-quality materials
- 100% satisfaction guarantee on every job